Revenge is a Dish Best Served “Cold”

Odessa, TX (October 2, 2016) – The Jackalopes looked to rebound after a four to two loss on Saturday night in Wichita Falls. Sunday night, the Jackalopes were able to hand the Wildcats their first loss in regulation at home in the last 25 games at Kay Yeagar Stadium.

It was another chippy game on the ice as the Jackalopes edged the Wildcats 69 to 64 in terms of penalty minutes. Killing off a penalty early in the first, the Jacks had an odd man rush with Klishko feeding Levin for a touch that beat Wichita Falls goaltender, Austin Smith, on the far post. Later in the period, a beautiful no look pass from Zach Heintz to Brandon Krumpschmid allowed the Jacks to go up 2-0.

Wichita Falls scored a powerplay goal to bring the game within one, but the Jackalopes knew how important that extra goal could be, and netted one of their own. A pass from behind the net to Cooper Zech was wristed for a save, but the rebound was too far to corral for Smith, allowing Christian Hausinger the open net for the goal.

Entering the second period, the Jackalopes held a 3-1 lead. 6:23 into the period, a turnover at the Wildcats blue line allowed Chase Thudium to take the puck into the slot, make one toe drag to beat a defender, and zipped it between the legs of new goaltender Evan Moyse. A goal by Steven Tillie on Wichita Falls was the only other goal in the period, giving the Jackalopes with a two-goal lead heading into the third.

The third period was intense, but ended up being all Jacks with three unanswered goals in the period. Just under two minutes into the period, Chris Donaldson had a puck chipped ahead that skated along the far boards, turned it to his forehand, and fired past Moyse to give the Jackalopes a three-goal lead once again.

Just about a minute later into the period, the Jacks’ Hausinger was able to get his second goal on the night, this time unintentionally. Hausinger tried to keep the puck alive by throwing it well wide of the night, but Wichita Falls’ Aleksi Poikola had it hit his stick and redirect through the five-hole of Moyse for a four-goal lead.

Halfway through the third, the Jackalopes weren’t done scoring. Zach Zech was cutting through the neutral zone and passed the puck to Chase Thudium who once again, makes a move to the forehand and missiles the puck past the blocker of Moyse. The Jackalopes took a seven to two lead into the end of the game and came away with the victory.

For the first time since early September of 2014, the Jackalopes were able to pull out a victory at Kay Yeagar Stadium thanks to the help of goaltender Jon Flakne and a jacked up offense. Flakne increased his record in net to 2-1-0 on the season after saving 31 of the 33 shots he faced. The Jackalopes next series of games will be next weekend as they head to Shreveport to take on the Mudbugs in their inaugural season.

Be sure to follow the Jackalopes on Twitter @LetsGoJacks all year long and don’t forget to ‘Like’ the official “Odessa Jackalopes” fan page on Facebook.